Thursday, October 11, 2007

Truth

When discussing Truth, and I capitalize T specifically, we must concern ourselves with the dangers that are involved. Truth is an idea. Truth has no physical existence and because it has no physical existence, it can be argued as to whether it exists at all. I am not arguing this because there is more to existence than what is physically present. The existence of anything outside of physical existence may only be a construct of our own minds, but that does not interfere with the fact that such things exist, and we cannot even be sure that such things are only constructs of our own minds. In this existence that I believe I understand to be living in right now, I cannot claim to know anything simply by the fact that I do not know everything, and can therefore not know what I do not know. That means that what I do not know can be an infinite amount of things and something in that infinite knowledge may be something that makes what I think I know become false. Such an understanding may seem untennable by the fact that it asserts I cannot know anything, but I argue that we can construct a system of awareness that best emulates that knowledge approximate to our present position in reality. I do not believe that Truth is relative. I simply believe that we cannot know what the Truth of anything is without having the ability to know everything, and that is why we must settle for truth. What truth then becomes is the most accurate perception of Truth in relation to our position in reality. I do believe that there is an absolute Truth, but that it can only be known by God. Of course, I must clarify my understanding of God, and this could give a best example of why I personally believe in God. I believe in God as the essence of all things, the infinite. God is in all things but is no thing. Everything that we do is because God wills it, and I can give an example. We go about our day and do what we do, but how much of we do is because we choose to do it, or because the decisions of others, the weather, the present place and time, the choices we have made in the past, and the choices we hope to make in the future? All of these things are a part of the infinite will of God, and we cannot possibly know or be aware of even these small amount of questions and answers that were just presented. So how can we pretend to know the will of God? I argue that the will and righteousness of God is in what happens in life, and that it all happens on an infinite scale that we must account for. The scale of such interactions is humbling, and that is why I wish only to do my best, but to accept what will be the will of God. I argue that Truth is the existence that is God, and that we cannot know it, but we can live in our best approximation to it. Different faiths have different ways of coping with this belief, and others disagree with it. I simply argue that if we are to believe in God then we must also believe that there is no way for us as human beings to truly know God. At this point, it becomes a humbling thing to concede that I cannot do something, but it is also liberating. This is not because I am no longer responsible to my moral ties based upon my belief in punishment from God. I feel liberated because it puts the well-being of my eternal soul in the hands of God, and that as long as I live by that will, what is meant to happen will happen. That also means that I have to accept what will happen, and I can only do my best at that. I hope that I get as close as possible to what is the Truth, but the best I can attain will be truth. This truth is what I will argue we can find. To find truth is the most successful I can be, but that does not mean I will always be successful. I am human, and I can error. I may not be the best every time and may therefore lose sometimes. This is something I must accept and hope that people can be understanding of my faults. I also hope that I can be there and understand others for theirs. Ideally, this would allow for a natural safety net in the world, and we would all live happily, but such simplicity is easily misled. That is why we must live this life in a social contract that is constantly enforced, contested, governed, and adapted. This social contract leads to a much different matter than truth, but also influences the interaction of people and truth. *As an after-thought, I would like to make clear that the talk of God does not assert anything against anyone else's view on God. It was simply to explain a relation between people and an ultimate truth, or Truth, and how God is the only one who can know that. That said, let us all do the best that we can and hope that we can be forgiven for our shortcomings.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good post.